Thursday, July 16, 2009

NZ 2.0

Well, I've spent the last couple of days dipping in and out of a range of NZ resources. Here's some of my ruminations:

* With so many potential 2.0 features/tools you do need to be careful to choose the right medium for the message. I like the Poirirua idea of emrgency information blog - that idea of instantaneous updates - and isn't that what emergency information is all about?

* I've already commented on the "worthy' nature of much NZ government information on the web. Worthy is good. However, I guess the power of 2.0 in this information sphere is engagement and feedback. I think there are untapped opportunties here!

* For business sector (and indeed others as well) to thrive in this environment, I think the key is still "engaging content" first. 2.0 tools will not compensate or replace engaging content.

* On the theme of engaging content, the GLAM sector has an immediate advantage. We just need to keep tapping into the potential.

I need to steal two thoughts from Liz Lawley that summarize for me:
"the intial hook is not the value that you're providing the community - it's the value that you're providing to yourself"
"the value to the user grows as the community expands"
What does this mean for me in this context? If I have a need for the content and you deliver it in an engaging and accessible way then I will be there, and continue to be there. And as the dots are joined - more participation, more content, more engagement in building the content - I'll stay and bring others with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment